Welcome to the world of small apartments, where every inch counts! If you’re an apartment dweller or a tiny house lover, storage can be a challenge, especially in your kitchen – the heart of your home. But fear not!
We’ve scoured the internet and gathered some smart and creative ideas to maximize your kitchen space while keeping it stylish and functional.
From vertical shelves to hidden cabinets, these clever solutions will make you wonder why you ever thought having a big kitchen was necessary.
So buckle up because we’re about to show you how small spaces can have big styles with our top picks for clever storage ideas for your kitchen!
Tips for Storing Food in a Small Apartment
When living in a small apartment, making the most of your space is important. One way to do that is by using clever storage ideas for your kitchen. Here are some tips:
1. Use baskets and racks: A great way to store food is to use baskets and racks. You can put everything from fruits and vegetables to condiments and spices on these shelves. This way, you’ll have plenty of room to work in the kitchen without searching for things in a pile on the floor.
2. Store perishables in the fridge: If you have items that need to be stored at temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, like perishables, put them in the fridge. This will keep them fresh and free from bacteria growth.
3. Keep your counters clear: When you don’t have much counter space, try to use it for storage instead. Place pots and pans on top of one another or stack baking sheets on top so that they’re standing up straight. This will give you more room to work in the kitchen without having clutter taking up valuable counter space.
4. Utilize wall-mounted hooks: If you don’t have any cabinet or rack space available, try using wall-mounted hooks instead. They’re perfect for holding smaller appliances like mixers or blenders and take up minimal counter space too!
Ideas for Storing Food in a Kitchen Cabinet
There are many clever ways to store food in a kitchen cabinet, depending on the size and configuration of your cabinet. A pantry can be a great place to store perishables like milk and cheese, while a drawer near the stove can be used for cooking ingredients or utensils. Here are some ideas to get you started:
– Use baskets or containers to organize spices and condiments: A small basket on the countertop can hold salt and pepper, while a larger container in the cabinet can hold herbs, oils, vinegar, and other essentials.
– Store canned goods alphabetically: This one’s easy if your cabinet has several shelves. Put all cans of similar shapes and sizes in one spot, then label them with the type of food (e.g., vegetables, beans) and the corresponding aisle in the grocery store.
– Keep baking supplies together: Baking powder, sugar, flour, etc. can all go in one place, making it easy to find when needed. If your kitchen is small enough, consider organizing by ingredient (e.g., flour sacks for wheat products; baking cups for cupcakes).
– Create custom storage areas for specific appliances: If your oven takes up more than one shelf in your cabinet, designate an area on one side of the cabinet only. If there’s not enough room on that side, consider installing vertical shelving instead – this lets you use smaller cabinets without sacrificing storage space
Ideas for Storing Food in the Fridge
1. Make use of stacking containers. Many small spaces in the fridge can be filled with stacking containers that can be easily accessed and organized.
2. Keep your produce chilled with a vegetable crisper. A vegetable crisper is an excellent way to store fresh produce and keep it chilled, which will help extend its shelf life.
3. Store perishables in the freezer. Not only is this a great way to maximize space in the fridge, but it also helps preserve food by freezing it rapidly. This means it will last longer and is less likely to go bad.
4. Store leftovers in the fridge. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a few days or frozen longer. This way, you can prepare a quick and easy meal whenever possible.
Ideas for Storing Food in the Cupboard
When it comes to kitchen storage, a few clever ideas can work well in even the smallest of apartments.
One great way to store food is in cupboards. This can be done by organizing your food into separate sections, like cups, plates, and bowls. This will allow you to easily find what you’re looking for and save on storage space.
Another great idea is to buy small containers that fit inside each other. This will help you organize your food by categories, such as fruits and vegetables, condiments, and bread. Not only will this make shopping for groceries easier, but it will also keep your food fresh and free from clutter.
Last but not least, remember the fridge! One way to store food in the fridge is to buy small containers that fit inside it. For example, buy jars or cans of soups or stews and store them in the fridge section for quick and easy access. Alternatively, buy smaller packages of meat or cheese so they only take up a little space on the shelf.
There’s no need to live in a cramped kitchen! With some clever storage ideas and a bit of imagination, you can find plenty of space for your cooking needs without sacrificing any countertop or cabinet space. Check out our roundup of small apartment kitchen storage solutions to get started.